Understanding your target audience: what do they know, feel and do?
A message for everybody, is heard by no one
Your target audiences are the people whose behavior you want to change. Before you start to communicate, you first need to understand them.
Why? Because a message for everybody, is heard by no one. The message will not connect to current behavior, beliefs and attitudes.
Knowing benefits & costs of behavior and beliefs, attitudes and knowledge
You cannot influence the way people think, feel and act without understanding them first. You need to know:
- The benefits and costs of the behavior you want to influence
- The beliefs, attitudes and knowledge related to your goal and desired behavior change
Knowing benefits and costs
People experience benefits and costs from behavior. We are not only talking about money. Think also of:
- Positive and negative experiences: do they enjoy it?
- Effort of the behavior: how easy is it?
- Status: what impression does it make?
- Social pressure: how do their friends and family feel about it?
- Culture and tradition: since when do they behave this way?